Graduate Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees

Graduate tuition varies by program. Please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s website for the current tuition and fees schedule:  

Fellowships and Financial Aid

Financial aid is available through graduate employee (GE) opportunities and research fellowships, training grant stipends, scholarships, work-study, loans, and part-time jobs. GEs are available to qualified graduate students who are enrolled in a graduate degree program. Inquire at the department for specific application deadlines. All GEs—research, teaching, and administrative—are represented by the Graduate Teaching Fellows Federation (GTFF), American Federation of Teachers, Local 3544. Recruitment and selection follow established published procedures from departments and the provisions of the GTFF collective bargaining agreement. Details of appointment procedures are available from the departments. Reappointment is subject to departmental policy but is always contingent upon making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Nearly all the schools and departments award graduate employee (GE) opportunities. Salaries vary by department, and also depend on the student's past degrees and status within their academic program. More information about salary is available on the Division of Graduate Studies website. The minimum appointment is 0.20 FTE (Full Time Equivalent) and the maximum appointment is .49 FTE. Graduate employees (GEs) must be enrolled in an graduate degree program and must register for and complete a minimum of 9 graduate credits toward the degree each term. Audited courses do not count toward this requirement. Tuition for up to 16 credits a term, a health insurance premium subsidy, and mandatory fees subsidy are provided by the university. Failure to enroll for and complete the minimum of 9 credits a term may nullify an appointment.

Nonnative speakers of English who accept teaching-related GE positions must demonstrate appropriate English language proficiency. See "Language Requirement for International Graduate Employees" above. 

Fellowships from Other Sources

Graduate students may be eligible for fellowship awards granted by federal agencies and private foundations. Information on internal and external funding opportunities is available on the website for the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. 

Postdoctoral Fellowships

The University of Oregon participates in several postdoctoral fellowship programs and provides facilities for postdoctoral study under faculty supervision. More information is available from individual schools and departments. Additional resources for postdoctoral fellows can be found on the Division of Graduate Studies website. 

Other Financial Assistance

Some forms of financial aid depend on financial need, defined as the difference between the cost of attending an institution and the amount the student and his or her family can contribute toward these expenses. See the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships section of this catalog for information about available aid and application procedures.

International Students

International students may work on campus during the school year but should not expect to work off campus. Those who hold student (F-1) visas are expected to have sufficient funds for the period of their studies. Their dependents are not usually allowed to work. However, if it is necessary for a dependent to work, students should contact International Student and Scholar Services in the Division of Global Engagement.

International students are eligible for institutionally supported teaching and research fellowships described above.