Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art
Jill Hartz, Executive Director
1430 Johnson Lane
1223 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1223
The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (JSMA) is a visual arts resource for students, faculty members, and visitors. The museum collects, preserves, studies, exhibits, and interprets works of art for the benefit of the UO curriculum and for the enrichment of the general public. The museum’s 14,000 piece collection has strengths in Asian, Pacific Northwest, and American art and has recently expanded collecting into the areas of European and Latin American art. More than half of the museum’s collection is searchable online, thanks to grants from the Oregon Cultural Trust.
The JSMA presents exhibitions and programs that emphasize cross-cultural understanding, provide broad education experiences, and support collaborative and interdisciplinary opportunities on and off campus. The collection galleries feature art from the Americas, Europe, China, Japan, and Korea, enhanced with a provocative series of special exhibitions and a full complement of programs designed to keep visitors engaged. A multicultural destination, the museum offers Spanish language materials throughout the galleries.
As a nationally accredited university museum, the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art is an important teaching resource. Its exhibitions and programs are based on the multidisciplinary curricular and extracurricular interests of university and community audiences. Museum staff and faculty members lecture, teach, and lead museum tours for UO students and others in the community. Student involvement is encouraged at several levels, beginning with a free student membership program and ranging from internships, practicums, and paid and volunteer opportunities to service on advisory committees.
Opened in 1933 and designed by architect and former dean of the architecture school Ellis Lawrence, the museum, including its Prince Lucien Campbell Memorial Courtyard, is on the National Registry of Historic Places. In 2005, the museum reopened after a few years of renovation, doubling its original size. Today, in addition to its galleries, the museum houses an art-making studio, lecture and reception halls, a museum café, and two exterior courtyards.
Admission is free for museum members, children under eighteen, UO and other college students, and UO faculty and staff members. University identification is required. The museum hours are Wednesday through Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with extended evening hours every Wednesday until 8:00 p.m.
Museum of Natural and Cultural History
The Museum of Natural and Cultural History links research and teaching activities with public programs and exhibits on the natural sciences and cultural history, including extensive research on Oregon archaeology, geology, history, and natural history.
The museum holds important collections of anthropological, archaeological, biological, and paleontological materials. These include the world’s oldest shoes, 10,000-year-old sagebrush bark sandals from Fort Rock Cave, and evidence of North America’s oldest house, a 9,400-year-old summer settlement buried under layers of volcanic ash near Newberry Crater.
Museum exhibits focus on Pacific Northwest geology, archaeology, biology, Native American cultures, and traditional cultures worldwide. Each year, courses in anthropology, biology, geology, architecture, design, and other departments and schools use the museum. Faculty and staff members lecture, teach, and lead museum and field tours for UO students and the broader community. Internship, individual study, volunteer, and employment opportunities are available for students. Graduate students and visiting scholars use the collections for research leading to theses, dissertations, and other publications or reports.
Offering tours and educational activities for children, families, and community groups, the museum works closely with local and regional school districts and other community groups.
Admission is free for UO students, faculty, staff, and museum members, $3 for adults, $2 for seniors and youth, and $8 for families; admission is free for all on Wednesdays. Exhibits and the museum store are open Wednesday through Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Oregon State Museum of Anthropology
Jon M. Erlandson, Director
The Oregon State Museum of Anthropology and its research collections are part of the Museum of Natural and Cultural History. It was established by the Oregon Legislative Assembly in 1935 as the official repository for state-owned anthropological collections. It also houses research collections resulting from archaeological fieldwork in Oregon as well as ethnographic objects from around the world.
Highlights include an extensive collection of ancient basketry from excavations in the dry caves of eastern Oregon and historic Native American basketry from across the western United States. The museum’s collections division curates archaeological specimens obtained through its own work in Oregon as well as specimens from other research projects and makes them available for study, exhibition, and loan.
Condon Collection of Fossils
214 Volcanology Building
1272 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1272
The Condon Collection, part of the Museum of Natural and Cultural History collection, includes geological specimens collected by Thomas Condon, pioneer geologist and professor of natural history and geology at the University of Oregon. Condon was one of the first professors to join the faculty of the university when it was established in 1876. When he died in 1907, his extensive personal collection of fossils, which he used for teaching, became the permanent possession of the university. Since 1907 the collection has been added to by various people, particularly A. J. Shotwell during the 1950s and 1960s.
The collection includes approximately 85,000 specimens. Vertebrate fossils make up the bulk of the collection, but it includes some invertebrate fossils, large holdings of fossil plants (largely leaf impressions), and several thousand skulls and skeletons of recent mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish. Several hundred published technical papers document the collections. Some research on the collections has been published in the Museum of Natural and Cultural History bulletin series. A list of publication titles and a pamphlet with information about the museum may be obtained by writing to the museum.